In Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) we believe that every student has a right to develop their communication skills to the best of their ability, using the most appropriate methods for them, be it speech, British Sign Language, Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) aids, or a combination of these. We aim to prepare students to communicate effectively in society and to operate at the highest level of independence that their circumstances allow.
Speech and Language Intervention
The SALT team play an integral part of the college curriculum. They input in many ways, including:
- Leading on assessment of the student’s communication needs, identifying strategies to support communication, and developing Communication Passports which help all college staff understand how best to support each student’s individual communication needs.
- Some students will access one-to-one sessions, for others it will be group work, supporting their social and emotion regulation skills or accessing SmILE therapy, an approach which teaches functional communication and social skills for Deaf students and students with special needs (e.g. how to order food in a café or ask for information at a train station).
- The therapists attend team meetings, and support staff to set targets for the students.
- The SALT team also help to develop visual resources, including easy read documents which allow all students access to formal and sometimes complex information.
- The SALT team also work closely with our onsite Audiologist and Teacher of the Deaf to ensure our students who use hearing aids and cochlear implants are able to use their equipment throughout the day to enable them to communicate more effectively.
The Speech and Language Therapy Team
Emma Robinson, MMedSci, MHCPC, MRCSLT Speech and Language Therapist (Specialist in Hearing Impairment/deafness, Learning Disabilities and Autism)
Lauren Woodcock, BMedSci, MHCPC, MRCSLT Speech and Language Therapist (Specialist in Hearing Impairment/deafness, Learning Disabilities and Autism)
Emma Oakes, BMedSci, MHCPC, MRCSLT Speech and Language Therapist (Specialist in SEMH, Learning Disabilities and Autism)
· Ruth Merrit, , Dip SLT, MHCPC, MRCSLT, ASLTIP - Consultant Speech and Language Therapist with over 30 years’ experience in deafness and 12 years’ experience in Cochlear Implants provides supervision and support to the onsite SaLT team