Aspire to Be is a specialist employability and skills service that supports adults with communication needs and specialises in providing help to those who are deaf/hard of hearing.
The service currently covers the whole of the Sheffield City region working in partnership with The Growth Company alongside referring agencies such as local authorities and various housing associations across South Yorkshire. There are also plans to work nationally in the future.
Aspire to Be is managed by Doncaster Deaf Trust which has a national reputation for providing support to people with additional communication needs. It benefits from an experienced and dedicated team who offer service users aged 19 and over a bespoke individualised plan that incorporates health and wellbeing alongside employability and aims to enhance skills to provide the tools needed to help people find and stay in employment.
Key successes of the service include:
- Excellent results: we regularly exceed our targets of helping 40% of people we work with into employment. This currently stands at 44%.
- Leading the way: out of all providers providing a specialist adult service (SES) we have had the most clients who have started a job and then stayed in work for 26 weeks or longer.
- Expert team: our team has more than 80 years of combined experience supporting adults with specialist needs
- BSL specialists: all of our staff are level 2 BSL users and two of our work coaches are themselves deaf/ hearing impaired
- Matrix accredited: our service has received the Matrix standard which showcases our aptitude for offering helpful specialist employability support. As part of this assessment, 100% of staff and clients said the service was good or excellent.
“Our Vision is to lead and empower those with communication needs to acquire the skills needed to enter employment.”
“Our Mission is to provide an employability service that enables and supports individuals to be resilient, independent and skilled to achieve their future aspirations both locally and nationally.”